Vacation while receiving EI maternity or paternity benefits

Many new parents welcome the much-needed break from the family hoopla following a birth, and the chance to enjoy baby — alone together at last!

For others, especially those with out-of-town family and friends, it’s an opportunity to introduce their baby to the folks that mean so much.

The other great advantage of that first vacation? Flying is free for the child, as long as baby is under two years of age.

Even with your baby flying for free, however, no one wants to risk losing those precious EI dollars, especially as you’ve probably experienced work interruptions and mounting expenses in recent months.

So what happens to your maternal/parental EI benefits if you vacation

The short answer: as long as you and baby travel together, you don’t lose EI benefits. That’s a relief for parents who want to get away and don’t want to jeopardize their EI benefits.

A slightly longer answer:

Outside Canada: If you vacation outside Canada, you won’t lose benefits but must inform EI at 1-800-206-7218 (TTY: 1-800-529-3742). Press "0" to speak with a representative.

Within Canada: If you remain in the country, you won’t lose benefits and don’t have to inform EI of your vacation.

For more details and information, visit Employment Insurance maternity and parental benefits at the Government of Canada website.

If you live in Quebec and receive benefits from the Quebec Parental Insurance Program, contact them at 1-866-610-7727 for more details, or visit them online