Travel insurance with stable pre-existing condition coverage for visitors to Canada

If you have a stable pre-existing condition, you can still get affordable access to health care in Canada with CoverMe® Travel Insurance for Visitors to Canada – Plan B. It offers up to a year of protection.

Get a quote


This plan meets the requirements of the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa.

See the policy for detailed information on benefits, limitations and exclusions.

Essential protection for travel to Canada

  • Get emergency medical coverage up to $15,000, $25,000, $50,000 or $100,000 to age 85, or up to $150,000 to age 69
  • Get travel accident insurance up to $50,000
  • Stay covered during side trips outside Canada (up to 49% of covered days, maximum 30 days)
  • Take trip breaks home without terminating coverage (with prior approval)
  • Get coverage during your uninterrupted flight to Canada at no extra charge when you purchase your plan before you leave home 
  • Get coverage until you arrive home on an uninterrupted flight from Canada as long as you don't intend to return to Canada while you're still covered by the plan

Apply up to age 85*

  • A visitor to Canada on holiday or with a work visa
  • A Canadian resident not covered by a Canadian provincial or territorial health insurance plan
  • You must be able to truthfully answer "no" to all our medical questions
  • Click "View More" to see what conditions make you ineligible for coverage.
* Dependent children must be at least 30 days of age.

Save with a higher deductible

  • Deductible higher than $75 – save 15% with a $500 deductible, 20% with a $1,000 deductible, 25% with a $2,500 deductible and 35% with a $5,000 deductible

Cover many emergency medical costs*

Health services

  • Emergency medical attention, including hospital and physician services


  • Emergency transportation home

Additional protection

  • Extra meal, hotel and child care costs

Accident protection

What's excluded?

  • Any pre-existing condition that was not stable within 180 days of the effective date
  • Any heart condition if you required any form of nitroglycerine for the relief of angina pain within 180 days of the effective date
  • Any lung condition if you required treatment with oxygen or Prednisone within 180 days of the effective date
  • If you get coverage after you arrive in Canada, there is a 48-hour waiting period except if you are accidentally injured or if you are extending an existing Visitors to Canada policy from Manulife

Add Trip Interruption if you choose

  • Add protection in case you have to interrupt your trip for medical or other reasons – up to $1,500 for you or up to $5,000 for family coverage.*
  • Click "View More" to see more details.

Carry your policy everywhere you travel

Keep your policy and wallet card safe, and take them with you everywhere you go on your trip. Your wallet card has contact information for our Assistance Centre, available 24/7, if you need to access your benefits while you're away. In addition, get the TravelAid mobile app, which can provide directions to the nearest medical facility and local emergency telephone numbers.

You must contact the Assistance Centre before you receive any treatment while on your trip. If you don't, you will have to pay 20% of the medical expenses that would normally be covered under this policy, and some benefits may be limited or not covered.

Does this policy seem like a good match for your needs?

Would you like a brochure?

We'll send one out to you right away.

Request a brochure

Explore health and dental plans

Discover our CoverMe® plans that help cover routine and unexpected health and dental costs

Learn more

Top 5 questions about travel insurance

When you travel outside your home province or territory, even if you're still in Canada, there are limits on how much your government health insurance plan will pay. Costs that may not be covered include air and ground ambulance, emergency dental treatment and prescription drug expenses. Travel insurance can help with these costs, so it makes sense to have it whether you're visiting another part of Canada or another part of the world.

We can top up travel insurance offered by another insurer, adding extra days to your current coverage. You are responsible for ensuring that your current coverage is in force and allows top-ups. Your top-up coverage is subject to CoverMe® Travel Insurance's terms and conditions.

For single-trip plans, you can add extra days of coverage while you're travelling provided that there has been:

  • No event that has resulted or may result in a claim against the policy, and
  • No change in your health status

You must call 1-877-268-3763 before your coverage expires and pay the appropriate premium.

For multi-trip plans, it's best to add extra days of coverage before you leave home. Simply get a top-up up to the maximum allowed by your government health insurance plan. If you need to add extra days of coverage while you're travelling, call 1-877-268-3763 and we will do our best to help you.

A dependent grandchild meets our definition of  "child." To be covered, your grandchild must be named on your confirmation and be travelling with you. Keep in mind that all travellers covered under a family travel insurance plan must be under age 60.

All our travel insurance plans for travelling Canadians start with a $0 deductible. You can save money with a higher deductible on our Single-Trip Emergency Medical Plan and Multi-Trip Emergency Medical Plan (these deductibles apply only to emergency medical coverage. COVID-19 Pandemic Travel plan not included):

  • $500 deductible – save 10%
  • $1,000 deductible – save 15%
  • $5,000 deductible – save 30%
  • $10,000 deductible – save 35%
See all questions

Discover more